D. "A Pair of Silk Stockings" takes a series of completely ordinary events and develops them into a character study. User:
12. What author saw hypocrisy in the lives of the Puritans?
A. Kate Chopin
B. Nathaniel Hawthorne
C. Willa Cather
D. Mark Twain
The correct answer is Nathaniel Hawthorne who wrote The Scarlet Letter, a story of a young girl accused of adultry and forced to wear a scarlet letter "A" so everyone would know her sin. [ I remember reading the book in high school as part of a required reading program. A long time ago.
13. What is the climax in Willa Cather's short story "Paul's Case"?
A. Paul takes the train to New York.
B. Paul jumps in front of the train.
C. Paul meets the boy from Yale.
D. Paul reads about his theft in the newspaper.
What is the climax in Willa Cather's short story "Paul's Case" B. Paul jumps in front of the train. User:
14. Which one of the following short stories is an example of an allegory?
A. "Paul's Case"
B. "The Private History of a Campaign That Failed"
C. "Young Goodman Brown"
D. "A Pair of Silk Stockings"
B. "Young Goodman Brown" - - is an example of an allegory.
15. In Mark Twain's account of a "campaign that failed," his satire is aimed at the _______ of making an adventure appear more glorious than it was.
In Mark Twain's account of a "campaign that failed," his satire is aimed at the C. hypocrisy of making an adventure appear more glorious than it was. User:
16. In "Paul's Case," members of the faculty don't like Paul's carnation because they think
A. it's the mark of an early death.
B. it suggests that he's not taking things seriously.
C. it's effeminate for a man to wear a flower.
D. it doesn't match his other clothing.
B. it suggests that he's not taking things seriously. User:
17. At the beginning of "Young ... (More)